Thursday, January 7, 2010

Scone with the Wind...

Today I had some trouble getting started as I wasn't particularly looking forward to my tasks of the day...but I went, I did, I conquered, somewhat, and was very grateful to be home again, even though I didn't get here til 8pm...TIRED...

My son is not feeling well so I made him a batch of his very favourite thing in the world, fresh baking powder biscuits...he just loves them...while I was making his, with the white flour, I thought to myself, Hmm...those look good, I should make some whole wheat ones...so I did, as you'll see below, but I added some other stuff in there too, I'm having one now, they're very nice, not as fluffy and light as the white flour ones but the whole wheat things never are, really, are they?

So, a short one tonight but as I said I'm beat, but here you go, these would be awesome with either a cup of hot tea or a glass of peach iced tea on a warmer day than THIS one...brrr!!!


Scone with the Wind

2 to 2 1/2 c whole wheat flour
3-4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp sea salt
small handful dried ( unsweetened!) apricots, chopped
small handful roasted unsalted almonds, pulverized a bit in the mini-processor
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
About a half a cup of vegetable shortening

Mix all, make a well in the middle and pour in 2/3c of buttermilk or 1% milk, make sure it's nice and cold...

If it's too dry, add a little more milk, but if you overwork your dough your scones will be like rocks so be gentle...

Pat it out into a 3/4" thick patty and cut. I cut mine in squares because I thought it looked nice and I didn't want to re-pat my scraps...

Place on baking sheet and bake at 450 degrees for 10-12 minutes.


***Just a note...if you push straight down with a circular cutter, when making biscuits, scones, whatever, they will rise up nicely, straight and even.  If you push and twist on the downstroke, they will rise much higher on one side.  Sometimes that's the look you're going for, but not today! 

Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment