Thursday, January 21, 2010

A Grill's Best Friend...It Ain't Diamonds!

Hello all!!

Well, after a long and fruitful day at work, Day 4 of the Cooler 1 plan, I went to the grocery store on the way home and picked up some bits and pieces...the cart was entirely loaded with healthy stuff except for a few items, which were for the kidlet...he's a salad eater and loves raw veg, doesn't eat a lot of crap...we haven't had white bread in the house for who knows how long, he eats the 12 grain and flaxseed and all of that, no problem..

But he does like a lot of the things every kid likes...he likes to make himself Kraft Dinner sometimes, maybe once every couple of weeks. He has a thing for Pillsbury Crescent Rolls. Tonight he had Bagel Bites ( those little mini pizzas) for dinner...with cut up green and red peppers mind you...  so at what point do I say to him, Hey, kid...we're a Clean Eating household, so you can't have those Pepperidge Farm Goldfish or crescent rolls, you'll have to have this healthier version? Or do I continue to keep on the way I am?  Like for lunch today, he had turkey breast ( actual, not deli meat..left over from Turkey-ish Delight ) on 12 grain bread with romaine lettuce, celery sticks, 2 100% juice drink boxes, a banana, a cheese string and some multigrain vegetable thins...for breakfast he had 2 poached eggs on a slice of 12 grain bread, a glass of orange juice and a yogurt...so if the kid wants bagel bites for dinner, is it a big deal? 

You know what the annoying thing is? He does eat well, granted...but he also eats things I can't, sometimes...and he has six pack abs, awesome calves and a bicep like half a tennis ball..and he's 13!  I sincerely hope for his sake that his metabolism or whatever's working for him stays in gear the way it is until he's at least 98...

As far as I'm concerned, it's still Cooler 1! I left a jobsite today and left my cooler there..DOH! So I was on the road when my alarm went off ( I have daily alarms set on my Blackberry to go off when it's time to stuff my face...every 3 hours or so...) and I wasn't going to get back to it for a while, so I popped into a grocery store and got lebanese cucumbers, a pear, a rotisserie chicken breast, a bottle of water and a fork. lol Had my wierd grocery store lunch in the parking lot...took the skin off of the chicken of course...

Tonight we used the barbeque again, since there isn't 2 feet of snow on it anymore, everything tastes better on the barbeque!  I grilled a couple of little steaks, gorgeous little things that were on sale tonight when I stopped in to Metro ) and made a grill pan of veg....the veg is tonight's very basic, nothing fancy recipe...

A Grill's Best Friend...

2 small zuchinnis
1 small onion
8 white mushrooms,, halved
1 red pepper, chunked
sea salt and pepper to taste
garden seasoning ( I got it at a flea market years ago, I'm almost out and I don't know what I'll do without it!! It's fine and green and awesome....but you could add your own...)
1 tbsp olive oil

Get the grill pan hot and add the olive oil, then the onions. Once the onions start to brown, add the other veggies and seasonings. Keep them moving, til you have nice grill marks and crispy edges...

For a really nice flavour combination, try putting a dollop of Astro Balkan Style plain yogurt on top when you serve it...realllly nice combo, you wouldn't think so but I'm serious!



Good night all, thanks for reading!

Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment