Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Quince-Essential Crumble...guilt free JOY

Quince-Essential Crumble

Peel and core 1 quince, and cook it in water with 1 tsp lime or lemon juice
(I used lime because I'm out of lemon.  I had mine on for 1/2 an hour, bring to a boil and then simmer for 30 mins or so...a number of websites I went to said that when it's pink it's ready, but mine never went pink...it stayed yellow but the flavour mellowed and it was tender, so I went with it...not the colour contrast I was hoping for in my crumble but who knows!! )
Peel and core 3 apples and set aside in water with lime juice in it ( I used 2 granny smith and a Gala this time )

I might make this with 4 quinces and no apples at some point...


Topping:

2/3 c. large flake oats
2 tbs. ground flaxseed ( this actually has a reallly nice flavour )
2 tbs. fruit sugar ( get this at Bulk Barn, much less expensive )
1/4 c. fine unsweetened coconut
2 tbs. finely chopped candied ginger ( Bulk Barn again )
2 tbs. butter or non-hydrogenated margarine ( I used butter )
1/4 tsp. sea salt

Mix with fingers, with so little butter it's impossible to get a good even mix with a spoon or pastry blender...

Spray a small baking dish with cooking spray and put the apples and quince in, and the topping over..don't pack the topping down, leave it nice and loose...Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until apples are tender but not mushy and the topping is browned...


When my mother made apple crisp she used butter, brown sugar, quick oats and a bit of white flour, and the apples had a 1/4c of sugar over them also...and of course it tasted great, she's a really good cook....this version is pleasantly sweet, crispy, and the coconut and ginger flavours show themselves in turn as you savour each bite...really interesting...and you can have some without feeling badly about it! This would be a really nice dessert if you had a roasted pork tenderloin for dinner or something like that...I'm doing a turkey breast for dinner tonight with fresh young carrots and pearl onions, and spinach...this should be a nice finish....

No comments:

Post a Comment